Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Collegiate Onesie.

I am just going to give you all a quick run down on a simple but extremely cute baby gift that literally only takes about 30 minutes!

First of all, I want to state that in No Way am I an Alabama fan because if I do not make that very clear then I will be single by the end of this post! It is strictly LSU in this house!

A couple of months ago I appliqued some cute onesies for a friend of mine at work and she recently asked me if I would do one more so I figured why not make a blog post out of it also!!

All you need is:
-Onesie
-Fabric
-Stablizer
-Coordinating Thread
-Button
-Sewing Machine

Since the onesie I made is obviously for an Alabama fan I chose to do an elephant. I simply googled elephant templates, found the one I liked, and printed it out.

Turn your fabric to the wrong side facing up, place your template on the fabric and trace around it with a fabric mark-b-gone pen



This part of my tutorial is a little wrong as you will see later on I meant to face my template in the opposite direction of how I want it facing on the front of the onesie...So make sure you don't forget to do this! It is very important!

Here is where the stabilzer comes in and if you don't know what I am talking about don't worry, I took a picture for you!


You can find this at any fabric store and the price range varies. Annie happened to buy me a never-ending supply and I saw the price tag was $60.99 and yes that's a fortune to me but will last me for a year probably! You can find stabilizer for around $10.00 or $15.00 a roll at Jo-Ann's.

Depending on how your stablizer works (mine is iron on) you use this to make your applique more sturdy and MUCH easier to sew! 

It is much easier to do this step BEFORE you cut out the applique. 


After you have completed these steps you are ready to pin the fabric on your onesie (make sure you don't pin the front and back of the onesie together this could be very bad when you start to sew!!) 


Now it's time to sew!!! The easiest part! Set your machine on the zig-zag setting and this is more to your preference of how you would like the width and length of the stitch. For me, I choose the largest number for the width and the smallest for the length!

This is where I get to show you my Machine!!! My Christmas present from Annie!! We got matching ones and I love it so much and it's so fancy and easy to use!! I strongly suggest buying this machine if you are in the market for a new sewing machine!




After you finish sewing simply iron over your applique one more time and then you are finished!! So cheap and cute!!

Also, I added a button for the eye of the elephant! This is just to add a little more detail. You could also do a bow with ribbon if it is for a girl!!



 
Charlie girl watched the whole thing from start to finish!! She is the perfect little helper and obviously likes being in my blog way more than Jack Jack!





-Katherine-

No comments:

Post a Comment